So the new Russell Tovey comedy Him & Her made is debut on BBC Three on Monday night...but it wasn't funny...or more to the point, the wife and I didn't find it funny.
Smutty humor was a big hit in the nineties, not now. Smutty humor now is just childish.
Things I didn't find funny:
- Opening discussion about blow jobs.
- The constant mention of sex.
- The word FUCK.
- Toilet paper under the foreskin.
- Sniffing said bit of toilet paper.
- Women doing stinky bowl movements on the toilet.
- Women leaving stinky bowl movements in toilet and not flushing.
- Jumping around like a girl when coming across a spider.
- Eating pubes on toast.
- Eating toast in bed and dropping crumbs.
- Pissing in a hand basin.
The only thing the show had going for it was the uncomfortably annoying neighbour and Russell. I love Russell Tovey, he's brilliant in everything he does, but even he can't save something so unfunny as Him & Her, or can he?
If you want to know how to do smut well, then see Two Pints Of Larger And A Packet Of Crisps. It just goes to show comedy is subjective.
I have erased it off my Sky+ recording schedule
(on the recommendation of Russell himself I have now reinstated it).
Dom Carver conversation on Twitter with Russell Tovey:
10-9-2010 russelltovey: @DomCarver Stick with 'Him and Her' Dom.. I promise you its get better and you will change your mind! ta x
10-9-2010 DomCarver: @russelltovey Hello. I will stick with it as you say, sir. And thank you for reading my blog. Nice to know someone else besides my mum does.
10-9-2010 russelltovey: @Domcarver cool.. Let me know the minute you change your mind, I promise you it will get under your skin! X
NB. Click comments box below for Dom's reply.