A Vampire, a Werewolf and a Ghost walk into a bar… nope, not a joke, they actually do in the exceptional show Being Human that aired two seasons on BBC America. Here is a special plea to get more people on the bandwagon and watching this show. The first two seasons are on DVD now and I am already ready for season three. Not to spoil it, but a great cliff-hanger! So here are some reasons to watch this show. Trust me it’s worth it.
1. It’s British! - Now, don’t get me wrong, I love True Blood, Vampire Diaries, Twilight and Supernatural. But the British do it better. Sci-fi shows (Dr. Who. Love you David Tennant!), car shows (Top Gear), comedies (Coupling), Dramas (Monarch of the Glen), boy wizards and British boys who play sparkling vampires. That makes it no surprise they have the most exciting and scary of the supernatural shows.
SWD: I loved Are You Being Served. Made me feel so tan.
2. The Relationships- You take a werewolf, vampire and ghost throw them into a house and you find yourself with a quite functional relationship between the three. Sometimes it gets stressed, but the leads Mitchell (Vampire), George (Werewolf) and Annie (Ghost) work well together.
SWD: Think British “Three’s Company” but without Mr. Ferley and this Chrissy is a dude, well, a were dude, who’s very smart. None of that wolf/vamp tension like Edward and Jacob or Alcide and Bill. It’s a love fest between those kids. Oh and the possibilities of a love fest between them would be…nice.
3. Ghosts! - They don’t make an appearance often in our American supe shows and movies (except Supernatural). Being Human takes the idea of ghosts and makes them exciting. I will admit that Annie is my favourite character. She’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but I have a girl crush on her and her outfit. I mean, I REALLY want that outfit. It’s cute! Also the ghosts are a mystery. A scary one. There are these doors that lead somewhere, but it doesn’t appear to be heaven. Because, whatever is behind those doors is angry and you do not want to mess with them. These sure aren’t Casper the Friendly Ghost!
SWD: Yes! I want those grey sweaters, and the cool slipper boots. She always looks so cosy, but maybe it’s because she’s always surrounded by cups of tea. It’s comforting.
4. Scary Werewolves - In an earlier post, I mentioned I like True Blood and Vampire Diaries authentic looking wolves better than Twilight’s CGI giant puppies. I like Being Human’s wolves the best, because they are threatening! Even the change into a wolf is scary. These American werewolves/shifters have it easy. Look at True Blood’s Sam Merlotte. When he shifts into a bird, he just poofs into it. George and Nina (a girl wolf, but not as snarly as Leah) transform into snarling beasts and it’s not pretty. You don’t want one of those big boys to chase you, because it would be messy.
SWD: Actually these werewolves freak me out. I have residual fear leftover from seeing “An American Werewolf in London” at a too early, age 8. I’m still traumatized by “the change”. I am still afraid of feet with high arches. Also, I’m not really liking Nina, but I have only seen her this season, with the GIANT chip on her shoulder. Then again, I’d be pissed too. But because I’d want to be a vampire, by Mitchell, not a hairy drooly wolf. See, I already have issues with dog hair (white dogs, black floor), I wouldn’t want any more. Vampire on the other hand… I understand “The Thirst”. Have you read some of my drunk tweets?
5. British Vampires Don’t Sparkle - Okay, one does, but Pattinson is playing an American and it’s Twilight, so ‘sparklepants’ is the exception. Mitchell, on the other hand, can walk in the sunshine and not look like a disco ball. It’s refreshing, helps plot development, but I do wish Mitchell had one of the Vampire Diaries Salvatore Brothers’ nifty rings. A fashion accessory that is a must for vampires in the fall fashion season. Which is also better than Eric and Bill wanting a Sookie snack to walk in the sun. Poor Sookie…always a tasty treat for those boys.
SWD: Maybe it’s his skinny jeans that enable the day walking. Or perhaps the little gloves.
6. When Being Human Vampire’s Go Bad They Go Very Bad – When a good vampire goes to the dark side on some of our favourite supe shows and movies, it lasts maybe an episode of brooding, making stressed out blood lust faces and maybe biting one person. Oh… and feeling really bad about it afterwards. Or they pull a Twilight Edward and run for the hills to off themselves. (that boy is the King of Emo. VD Stefan a close second) Mitchell? He goes bad boy to the extreme. He’s a vampire and that is supposed to be scary. He’s scary alright. It is too good to spoil…just watch!
7. The Best Cliff-hangers for the Next Season- The good show writers at Being Human did something so right…made me want more! So much more, that if it doesn’t come back I will cry. Too many unanswered questions and the fate of a favourite left in the air!
Being Human is something you should really watch! Or maybe, you do and want to chat about it. The Staceys’ inquiring minds want to know! Is you curiosity peeked? You want to swoon over the adorkableness of George. (I have a little crush on that wolf boy)? Let us know in the comments! We would love to hear from you!
Sending our love to those lovely Brits, Irish and Scottish friends,
EC Stacey and WC Stacey (SWD)